Friday 17 July 2015

Von Krahli Baar // Von Krahl's Bar

Located in Tallinn old town on Rataskaevu street, Von Krahl is a collective name for a theatre and four eateries: Von Krahl's Garden (Aed), Von Krahl's Bar (Baar), Vegan Restaurant (Restoran) V and At Granny's (Vanaema Juures). In the afternoon of July 14th I stepped into the vegan restaurant with my friend visiting Estonia for the first time, only to be told there was no vacancy. As we were starving and exhausted from sightseeing, we sat down at a place just beside it, Von Krahl's Bar.

After a long look at the menu, I chose the Von Krahl’s fried roll with a minced meat filling and fresh salad (Von Krahli toru hakklihatäidisega ja värske salatiga) at a cost of 4€ which is very inexpensive for an eatery in old town. My friend ordered a fresh salad with chicken (värske salat kanaga), which came in at 5€. Tap water and fresh bread (by the looks of it) were free of charge. The bar was almost empty, with my friend and I being the third visitors.

After a short wait of maximum 15 minutes, our food arrived. Turned out what I had imagined the roll to be was not the case. It was a pancake. A crepe roll with the meat filling diagonally across the plate, in a corner above it the fresh salad with cucumber, lettuce, radish and tomato (hope I didn't leave anything out), seasoned with salt and pepper, and in a corner below two dollops of a greenish sauce. The roll was topped off with two slices of radish. My friend's salad was identical to mine, just bigger and had chicken.

The crepe was on the thicker side but quite light nevertheless. The minced meat was very fine, almost baby-food-like, but very well seasoned. The sauce (most likely with a mayonnaise base) on the side was a great accompaniment, toning the seasoning of the filling down a tad bit, and also making it feel fresher. In the menu there was also the choice of having an XXL version of the meal, but I was very glad I only had one of those rolls. I also tasted the chicken on my friend's salad but was very disappointed after my delicious food. It was rather bland, cold (according to the friend, it was warm at first) and tasted like warmed up meat. If I were to evaluate the bar based on only my food and the atmosphere, I would give it a score of 8 out of 10, but my friend's chicken brought the score down.

My final verdict: 7 out of 10. I would go back to taste the desserts and some other items.

No comments:

Post a Comment