Monday 17 August 2015

DINER

DINER is an American style restaurant, offering burgers, salads, and desserts. Having heard rave reviews, my family and I decided to see what this eatery on Vabaduse avenue had to offer.

Firstly, you are greeted by an American style "DINER" sign and an American flag on the building. There's an option to sit outside or inside. On a chilly day like it was, sitting inside wasn't much better of a choice, because air conditioning was turned way up, to the point it got slightly uncomfortable. Blankets were available, though. The white walls were decorated with signs and posters, but that didn't make it seem less empty. The seats were obviously covered in red leather.

We started off with chips with cheese (kartulichipsid juustuga). When they came, they weren't that drained of oil, and the cheese hadn't melted. I understand it was so the chips would still be warm when they got to the table, and the cheese eventually did melt, by the time it was all gone. They tasted like homemade chips. And I didn't expect more of them. They cost 3€.



As I wanted something lighter to have for lunch/dinner, I chose the "naked" burger ("paljas" burger). You have to order at the counter. Having looked at the menu on a lit-up billboard, the food will be brought to you after calling out your name. That made my decision rushed, however, so I didn't notice what I actually ordered. I thought I would get a burger, but just without the buns. Instead, they brought a salad with a beef patty with cheese, on the side. The salad wasn't too bad. The usual bland taste of lettuce and cucumber wasn't there because of pickled onions and cucumbers. The tomato gave sweetness, bell peppers bitterness. It was covered with an oil based (pesto?) dressing. The burger had a grill taste, the cheese gave saltiness. However, the burger seemed to be a bit dry. There was an option to choose the level of doneness for the meat, but I didn't think it would be necessary. All in all, a satisfying meal with a few let-downs. Mustard, which was provided at the table, was the perfect addition to the burger. I believe it cost 6,50€.

My brother decided to have waffles (vahvlid) for dessert. I haven't had real American waffles, but I, again, expected something different. They were too crispy and bland, though I tasted a part that didn't have maple syrup on it. The waffles were served with thin pieces of mango, inca berries, chocolate sauce, and powdered sugar. They cost 3€.

Final verdict: 8 out of 10. The food was good, probably would have been better in a burger form, though. I still would like to try an actual burger, preferably one of their stuffed patty one.

Info on their Facebook: www.facebook.com/dinerfoods .

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment