Thursday 27 August 2015

Little India

Little India is an Indian restaurant with two locations in Tallinn. They have Indian chefs, and a cozy atmosphere, use an authentic tandoori clay oven, and have daily specials.

From the left, clockwise - butter naan, dessert, lamb curry, lentils, vegetables, yoghurt sauce, salad, basmati rice in the centre


I visited the location in Ülemiste shopping centre. The place wasn't as busy as I'd expect from it being lunchtime. I ordered a North-Indian lamb thali (Põhja-India lamba thali) to share with my mother. I don't know how to describe much of it, other than it was very very good. The naan, Indian bread, seemed as it had been sitting out for a while and could have been better, however, the lamb was very tender and flavourful, the sauce slightly spicy, lentils were a bit spicier, vegetables (cabbage, peas, carrots) well cooked and well-seasoned, yoghurt sauce (raita) a cooling contrast to the heat, as it should be, the salad (red cabbage, carrots) giving an interesting pickled twist to this whole combo. Rice worked with everything. The dessert was a carrot rice pudding (gajar halwa), made with coconut (milk?), and added raisins. It was quite sweet, but a nice finish to the meal (might have found a similar recipe at www.saveur.com). This whole plate cost 9,50€.

Final verdict: 9 out of 10. The naan kind of ruined it for me and the meal didn't absolutely blow me away. Perhaps I've just gotten used to Indian food always being absolutely amazing, but this doesn't get a solid 10. Definitely a place I would return to.

Info at www.littleindia.ee.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment