Thursday 13 August 2015

Kohvik Moon // Café Poppy

Moon is a cafe, crowned as one of the top 50 restaurants in Estonia for several years. Opened in the harbour area in 2009, it offers a variety of homey dishes, many inspired by the Russian cuisine, and some what you may call fancier foods.

I went there for another casual and quick lunch. However, it should be kept in mind they won't open before 12, and as I didn't know it, I had to wait. Not having much time, I ordered the daily special, chicken patties with almond potatoes and chanterelle-cream sauce (kanakotletid mandlikartulite ja kukeseene-kreemikastmega). Having heard rave reviews about the "granny style" hand pies they offer there, I started off with those, the fillings were carrot-duck and salmon-cabbage. I was also given complimentary poppy seed white ciabatta, rye bread baked in a mini muffin tin, and butter. I couldn't decide which was best.

The yeast dough pastry of the hand pies was soft and beautifully golden brown. The salmon-cabbage one was greasy, but I'm blaming it on the fatty fish. The combination was rather odd, as both ingredients are quite strong-flavoured on their own, together they overpowered each other a little bit. Nevertheless, it was a joy to eat. With the carrot-duck pie I didn't notice the meat before I bit into what I could only describe as a dry, something you've left out on the counter overnight, piece. The filling also had some heat from pepper. However, it wasn't too bad and I would probably have both of them again as they were very soft and juicy (if you could describe a pie like that). Each pie costs 2€.



The daily special was different from what I expected. "Almond potatoes" sounded like almond crusted potatoes or something similar, but they were instead shaped like the seed and had the peel on too. The chicken patties were dense and lacked seasoning, so did the cream sauce. That made me find myself cracking some salt on. Chanterelles had their lovely mushroom flavour and made things good for a while. There were also sugar snap peas and a pea shoot on the plate to give crunch and colour to the dish. Overall, filling and satisfying food, but not that awe worthy. The price of their daily specials is 6€.

Final verdict: 7 out of 10, again. My expectations were very high going in, but then again, daily specials aren't as polished as regular menu items. I will definitely go back and try something from their interesting menu.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment